Thursday, 31 July 2014

Placebo Effect & The LSD Prank




Along with meditation, neuroplasticity, intuition and psychedelics, the Placebo Effect is one of the topics I'm discussing in my upcoming book. The following is a related joke I recall, which I can now call an experiment that my friends and I took part in when we were about 20 years old.


One night, we were a total of five people and we were going to a friend’s house. Having always been a prankster, I convinced my buddies to pretend that we are all tripping on LSD. Once in the house, we started to act tripping and happened to do quite a good job.

The next step was sharing the fake stuff with our friend. So I asked him for scissors, hid a pack of cigarettes in my pocket, and headed to the bathroom. I then took the side carton and cut it up to many square ‘hits’ and put two on my tongue before going out to join the group. I stuck my tongue out for my unwary friend to see, pretending that it’s my fifth hit for the night. And then I gave him two. 



The guy bought the whole act. I remember him going to my friends and telling them to stop me from taking more because I will really lose my head. We were pretty convincing. One of us would start with some fake laughter and then when we make eye contact and remember that our buddy truly got into it, we start laughing for real, and then he joins in. This loop kept happening for a long time.

We spent a few hours at his place having lots of fun. Then we all went home except one who was spending the night at our friend. His excuse that he will be going to bed by 5 am is that he took some Rohypnol (Flunitrazepam) which were big in Egypt at the time and people took them recreationally, not as a date-rape tool.

Little did I know, but our ‘tripping’ friend stayed up till the next morning. He actually called me home by noon, telling me that when he looks at himself in the mirror he can see his face in black and white. Yep. 

Note that this is someone who has done acid before, and though I can’t call him an ‘expert’ in psychedelics, but he knows well what they are. However, aided by our little skit, the placebo here made his mind and body believe that he is tripping, and they both acted accordingly.

The interesting thing is that a week later, I could not shut up and was too excited to see my friend's reaction once he would find out. So I decided to tell him about the farce, but he would not believe me or them. He had concluded that it wasn’t the strong type, though it was indeed LSD. I sincerely tried to convince him but he wouldn’t listen so I simply dropped it. I think he still believes it until today.


This is yet another blatant proof that beliefs, thoughts, feelings, and intent do work. The Placebo Effect shows that our brain and perception have a profound effect on our body chemistry, and consequently on our physical health. I personally see it as an energetic phenomenon that works when the mind and heart match the energy of the result – or the healing – we wish to achieve. So the act of believing that we’ll heal, or trip, helps making us heal or trip in real; or at least speeds up the process in the case of the healing.

Placebo shows us that our minds have powers capable of manifesting the reality we wish. And it happens when we align our frequency with the desire. Another reminder that if we want things to change, we should simply change how we look at them.


ALSO VIEW:


Funny Drug-Related Stories

Funny Drug-Related Stories 2

The LSD Experiments of the 1950s and 60s [Videos & Documentaries]

Surviving the Madness of Sakarana — Hyoscyamus muticus

Opiated Then Hatin' It

Out-of-Body Experience and Ego Death on a “Heroic Dose” of Mushrooms 

Funny Hotel-Related Stories

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

2 comments:

  1. it's really nice and meanful. it's really cool blog. Linking is very useful thing.you have really helped lots of people who visit blog and provide them usefull information.
    POH Crew

    ReplyDelete