Monday 28 July 2014

Dzzzzz Alarmaaaaa — Waking and Alarms



Experts believe that before going to bed, 93% of people count how many hours of sleep they're going to get. Not exactly sure about the accuracy of that number but I did this myself for so many years, it was an obsession. I would keep delaying my alarm for seven extra minutes, then in the middle of the night I would add another three and stuff like that. It was berserk in a neurotic way.

Waking up to the disturbing sound of an alarm seems so unnatural. Studies have shown that when it comes to remembering our dreams, alarms make it way harder. The whole key to remembering dreams is to wake up slowly, to take a few minutes in doing so. With alarms this may seem like an impossibility because of that sudden rush and panic you get. Of course we all know what could 'I'll take a few extra minutes' lead to, especially when tired, which you usually are if that's how you wake up everyday...or five or six times a week.

However, people, especially with age, could find themselves waking up at around the same hour every day. When you keep waking at, say, 8 am for years the body clock adapts to the pattern and it becomes your own alarm; you get into a routine, a rhythm. My father is one example, he's been starting his day pretty much at the same time for the last few decades or so. And looking at those last four years of my life, I think I could also be following through, minus the occasional wild all-nighters that leave me looking like a Picasso the next morning.


Well, time is still an illusion, it's man-made. Sorry couldn't help it   :}

Venice Sunset

 
“Time is a created thing. To say 'I don't have time,' is like saying, 'I don't want to.” 
― Lao Tzu

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

No comments:

Post a Comment