Friday 13 October 2017

New Kreation: Grilled Salmon with Soy Marinade & Herbs




As some of you may already know, the three years I spent in Toronto was when I sincerely got into cooking. I had a Word file with all the newly learned recipes which kept growing every day. From T-bone steaks, oxtail soup and veal stew, to different grilled salmon marinades, to various pasta recipes.

The following years in the U.S was when I dropped the meats yet kept the seafood and began cooking less — also eating less in terms of quantities. Needless to say, I lost two waist sizes. I still do cook, but not as much. In fact, the last New Kreation article, Onion-n-Garlic Pasta with Mussels and (Different) Herbs, dates back to November 2016, almost a year ago.  

A few days ago I was in the mood to create something I haven’t made in a while. By skimming through that forgotten recipes file, the salmon was what spoke to me. On the way to the store to buy the fillet I remembered that it had definitely been more than two years since the last time.

I also had baby potatoes which work perfectly along the grilled fish.

Before the recipe itself, I even found the detailed, step-by-step salmon preparation in that file. Again, I was new to the whole thing and I am quite meticulous like that. As such, I’ll just share them here as they are.


Preparations:


Like most kinds of fish, the fresher the better. Choose salmon fillets which are over an inch thick. Thinner ones can easily flake and break. You can also go for the salmon steaks, which are slightly thinner and hence take less grilling time.

Clean the salmon by rinsing it under cold tap water. Then use paper towel to dry. Some people remove the skin, others like myself just leave it as it is.

Season with salt and pepper. Lemon can also be used. However, since lemon is included in this particular recipe, I do not add it as a seasoning. That is because too much lemon will "eat away" at the salmon.


Ingredients:


  • 1/2 an onion (minced)
  • 2 cloves garlic (minced)
  • 3 tablespoons of Soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon of olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon of salt
  • 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
  • 1 tablespoon of Dijon mustard.
  • Basil, thyme, ground ginger, and peppercorn medley (to be added later).


Directions:

  • Combine all ingredients (except the herbs) together in a large bowl or glass container and mix well
  • Soak the salmon(s) for 15 minutes, then flip it on the other side for another 15. As mentioned, do not leave it in the marinade more than 30 minutes because of the lemon/salmon reaction.
  • Pre-heat grill to a medium heat and add oil, enough since salmon sticks easily. I have used non-stick pans when I had no grill and the difference is not that noticeable. 
  • Add a piece of butter then the salmon. Some say add the skin-side-down first, which is something I tend to do out of habit. But I have used the other side first before and things went fine.
  • Flip it at least once every 4 or 5 minutes to prevent burning. You may choose to add the full marinade, some of it as I do, or discard it all together (for a lighter outcome).
  • Add basil, thyme, ground ginger, peppercorn medley.
  • Even though it depends from fire to the other and from fish to the other, but the average time for salmon grilling should not exceed 15 minutes. I would say starting from 9 up to 14/15 depending on the variables and one’s taste.
  • Serve straight away, with potatoes or anything else.

An alternative way for grilling salmon is to wrap it in aluminum foil which will keep the juices within. I have tried it a few times and enjoyed the practical fact that you just throw away the foil and end up having less dishwashing to do. 




Buon Appetito!




ALSO VIEW:


New Kreation: Onion-n-Garlic Pasta with Mussels and (Different) Herbs

New Kreation: Onion-n-Garlic Pasta with Mussels and Other Yummy Stuff


New Kreation: Veggie Pasta.

New Kreation: Sliced Baked Potatoes with Herbs

New Kreation: Mussels and Potatoes

Cooking My Catch, Finally ― Pasta with Calamari [With Video and Recipe]

Kicking That Sweet Habit

How I Dropped Two Waist Sizes in a Few Months
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

No comments:

Post a Comment